Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Sitting in the office, drinking my water, sending Lisa on a hunt to find me a golden goose on the internet...this has been the extent of my excitement within the past hour. She did find me a golden goose though and within about 2 minutes of my challenge. I was very impressed indeed. Then I sent her on a hunt to find the origins of the word "gratitude" which she also succeeded in doing and I now know that the word "gratitude" originates from the Latin word "gratus" meaning "thankful, pleasing." I think my challenges have been to easy and I'm going to have to start coming up with harder ones.

Challenges...hmmm I could get very deep and poignant with this word and ask myself what have the challenges in my life been lately? It could take a minute of pondering to come up with an answer. I suppose in the most obvious way to me at this moment I'm being challenged to continually put my future in God's hands and out of that comes the challenge to quit looking ahead and focus on what's happening around me now. This is a bit harder than the first of the two because I'm not quite feeling that excited about my life at the moment. I hope that this doesn't make me a horrible person because what I'm doing at the moment is full time ministry and to tell people that I'm finding things a bit mundane almost seems like heresy. So that's definitely a challenge.

The word challenge also brings back many memories of certain people asking me to do the most random things:

"Jenny, go up to that guy and start talking to him like you know him....PLEASE?? C'mon it'll be so hilarious!"

"Jenny, yell out 'TOUCHDOWN' when they score their next goal!" (during a hockey game)

"Jenny I dare you to stick your nose in your glass of orange juice...c'mon all the way!!"

"I dare you to eat that gum off the bottom of your shoe!"

...strange how the requests s that stick out in my mind the most come from a couple specific people! Stranger still is the fact that I'd actually do it! As soon as people find out you don't have that many inhibitions they're eager to start exploiting you. Ah the craziness of it all. I promise I'm much more mature and well behaved now, just ask Steve and Heather!

Anyway, youth alpha is starting soon so I should get going! I need to go and challenge them to all be as mature and as well behaved as myself!



4 comments:

Norma Jean said...

ohh Jenny...I miss you SOO much .....your "challenges" made me lol in the library. THis guy is looking at me funny. People just dont appreciate a good heartfelt moment between friends. anyway ......I just wanted to say that Ive been thinking about ya and praying for ya and ill talk to you soon ....Love you tons.

Karyn said...

"Jenny, if the cops ask us what we're doing convince them that we're looking for my contact."

Steve said...

Jenny, I can attest to the fact that you are now gloriously mature, sensible and well behaved, you certainly were last time I saw you about 4 months ago. You were very mature and sedate in the way you cartwheeled, splitting your jeans :-) As for trying to put a coloured pen blob on my knee, I couldn't ask for more mature behaviour.

Now I think about it though Jenny, that comment about gum on the bottom of your shoe does stir some memories from this summer just gone...

It is reassuring however, to know you'd never be so daft as to eat a live locust for a dare even if people paid you - I mean, some people!

:-)

Less than a week now til we see you again - YAY!!

Pyrobutterfly said...

hhahahaha, ahhh memories - I still can't believe you actually followed thru with that dare! Mmmm crunchy!
Reading that got me thinking about last summer, it seems like only a few weeks ago even if its what...nearly 5 months ago! How time flys!
My sister got a veggie tales cd for christmas and that brought back memories of Alistair doing veggie tales up at southend for the kids. Funny the things that stir up memories.
Hope your having an awesome time over Christmas, bet you have lots of snow!
Yours in randomness!
RG