Thursday, February 23, 2006

How many oranges does it take to make a glass of orange juice?

The answer is 5. I figured it out this morning. I wanted some fruit juice but we were all out and there was a massive pile of oranges in the fruit bowl so I got out the "juicer thing" and started squeezing away.

I've actually had a pretty good week so far! It hasn't been overly quiet at all. Monday I came into the office and a couple youth lads stopped in to work on a top secret project. They're going to be doing a secret drama at out youth service this Sunday and it's hilarious.

I've started getting to know one of the women from my church, Sonja, who's originally from California and has been over here about 2 years. She's a fair amount older than me but it's been fun getting to know her. I went around to her house on Tuesday and we took her dogs for a walk around some fields for like an hour. I was pretty muddy by the time we got home and had to stay out in the porch with the dogs and get a bit cleaned up! The rest of the afternoon we just sat and talked and then ordered in pizza and I was able to catch the 3rd period of an Olympic hockey game. Canada vs Czech. I almost felt a bit like I was at home....pizza, hockey, the two go hand in hand at my house. My dad and brothers would be proud. Canada won which was great but I haven't managed to catch any of the other games since so I hope we're still doing well!

Yesterday I went into Newcastle with Sonja to the Quayside. I'd never been before so she took it upon herself to make sure I got there. We had lunch at this really nice restaurant called Azzuri. It's Italian and the food was really good for a very reasonable price. I had pollo maria hose which was chicken breast with a sage and white wine sauce and it came with this huge plate of vegetables. It was great. If anyone comes over to visit me at all I will take you there.

After lunch we had coffee at this trendy bar called mal maison that overlooked the river and we could see the bridges. I felt a bit like I was briefly stepping into the society of trendy city living. I even had a cuppucino and enjoyed it! It was quite scary! Sonja used to have a job in sales and knew all the places because she'd taken clients out a lot.

We then walked across the river and went into the Baltic which is a contemporary art gallery. Contemporary art is always interesting but there was a particularly peculiar exhibit by an American artist named Spencer Tunick who likes to use naked people. He'd done a project in Newcastle and taken pictures and films of tones of naked people along the river and bridges. It was very bizarre and shocking. I didn't look around very much!

I had housegroup last night -every wednesday I meet with friends for a bible study - and it was one I wont forget. A situation that had been brewing for a bit with someone who comes finally blew up. The end result is that they decided they don't want to come anymore. They don't feel they're getting anything out of the housegroup and that we aren't passionate about God. I was a bit hurt as I think we all were but I felt more sad for this person and grieved. I'm not sure quite what to think about it all and I think I'm still processing the whole situation. I don't understand why someone would deliberately chose to isolate themselves from people who just want to love and encourage them. I don't understand why someone would chose to watch the God channel 24/7 instead of enjoying fellowship and teaching from people who are actually around them. I don't understand how someone can say God hasn't been allowed into our conversations and the Holy Spirit is not allowed to reign when the purpose of our meeting together is to meet with God. I don't understand how someone who wants to reach out and so desperately impact lives is instead pushing people away. That's not the kind of ministry I perceive Jesus to have had in the bible, he had one that embraced everyone, even the pharisees who had things wrong. He didn't push them away, but he did challenge them. I suppose the best thing to do is to just pray, very fitting considering the topic we were studying was prayer.

Anyway I'm off to the library and to pick up a few other things. I'm attempting to make "Greek Chicken" tonight! Wish me luck!

2 comments:

tmosh said...

look at you getting all domesticated and making "greek chicken" -
funny how as we grow older + mature in Christ how our oppinions + views change hey Jenny?
think about a couple years ago and how your thoughts have changed on a situation like this... :)

Anonymous said...

wise words.