Saturday, July 01, 2006

Countdown

So, the countdown is officially on. In two weeks I will be heading back to Canada. HAPPY CANADA DAY by the way. I did wear red and white today in order to be patriotic. It's unfortunate, though, that since there was an England match on so was everyone else. Oh well, I knew who I was dressing for..."my home and native land!" Probably even more unfortunate is the fact that England lost their game today and so now everyone here is very down and depressed about it. Perhaps I should try to spread some of my patriotic Canadian joy. Or maybe not lol.

This past week has actually been one I enjoyed very much. It's strange because Lisa was away on holiday so it was just Mike and I, but I still enjoyed everything we did. We had our youth club on Friday night and it was my turn to do the talk. I was telling the parable Jesus told about the man who hired people to work in His vineyard and the man hired different people at different times throughout the day and paid them all the same amount. I didn't tell them it was from the bible but just told the story and asked how many of them thought it was fair. They shouted out their answers and started debating in an unorderly and chaotic fashion, as usual, but at least I knew they were listening a bit. I then talked about how that was a story Jesus told and at the end of it He said "the first shall be last and the last shall be first" and I talked about how today people think that those who are "first" are those who have achieved money and status, those who are famous, those who are successful. We think at the end of life it's those people who've had it the best and will go out with an applause. But I then said that none of that was what mattered. What matters is whether or not we have a relationship with Christ, and that it doesn't matter if we're the coolest or best looking or have the most money etc. Jesus came to hang out with the scum of the earth not the important people. What matters is whether or not we've met with him in our lives, no matter our status. I'm not sure how much of that got through to them as I was interrupted about 5 gazillion times in-between what I was trying to say. But I pray that despite the brokenness of my words and probably the tone of frustration that started to rise as a pencil was thrown near my head that somehow God spoke to them through it all. It was the last club for the summer.

As well, I guess I felt I was able to have some really good conversations with Mike. Nothing deeply profound and that I can remember specifically, but just open honesty about everything. It was good.

I'm feeling very content and peaceful at the moment regarding this summer. I know there are still a million things that I need to do, a lot of things still uncertain and yet to unfold, and it will be hard to be away from certain people while I'm back in Canada. I will miss Steve and Heather who I will only really see in transit as they're coming back and I'm leaving, I will miss the Hatch's and Sophie and Francesca, I've loved living with them this year. I've really become such good friends with them. I'll miss Sophie coming into my room and plonking herself on my bed to have a chat and I will miss straightening her hair for her. I'll miss Francesca's eccentric ideas and creative conversations. I'm also going to miss Russell, for who those who don't know and since apparently my reference to him in my last blog was very ***vague*** is a very good friend I met while at Capernwray who I am now going out with. (Was that forward enough ??) lol) It will be good to be home though, to see my family, go to the lake and lie in the sun -mmmmmmm-, to eat Moxie's white chocolate brownie and catch up with everyone back in Ottawa.

Despite the people I'm going to miss and the things I have to look forward and the anxiety that seems to take me up and down emotionally, I know that God has it in control and I can trust Him. I will try my best to keep giving everything to Him and letting His peace, which transcends all understanding, fill my heart and mind. (Phil 4:6)

1 comment:

tmosh said...

happy canada day to you too!!
i'm sure even though it may feel like you didn't get through to the pencil wielding youth - every word is a seed some i think you will see bloom sooner than later and some maybe won't bloom in your season in their lives - still it makes our Father proud.