Thursday, October 06, 2005

Pick a Career, any Career!

Lately I have been reviewing my life, a very deep and meaningful process full of the endless possibilities of options that I have before me...or not! Well, not that I don't have options, the world is my oyster after all right? (I never really did understand that metaphor...anyone care to explain?) but, that reminds me, have any of you ever taken any of those career aptitude test things? Where they ask you all about yourself and then tell you that the ideal job for you would be to become a professional lawn bowler, or in my case a choreographer. Hey! I know! I could teach people the choreography of falling down the stairs properly or in a very extravagant manner. Perfect! I could then implement it into some sort of dating service...how to attract the attention of the man/woman you fancy by nearly breaking your neck! I could make a decent chunk of cash off of that. Like I said I have endless opportunities before me.

Really though, I've been given a list of some questions to ponder about my year with The Mustard Tree Trust which I am to discuss with a Trustee in a week and they are very thought provoking. The one question that is stumping me and has really been a bit of a thorn in my side since high school is "What are your longer term career interests and ambitions?" The honest answer to that is I DON'T KNOW...but I really feel like I should.

Oh *sigh* am I really at this place again?

4 comments:

Courtney said...

Here's a question for you:

Have you considered ministry? I think you have a rather suitable heart for that calling.

blessings!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jenny,
No free iPods from us but hopefully some helpful words of encouragement. Don't allow the world to squeeze you into its mould of 'career paths'.

"Don't conform any longer to the pattern of this world but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is, his good pleasing and perfect will." Romans 12:2

I'm not too sure where 'career path' is taught in the Bible but it's taught plenty in the world and sadly the church has far too many of the world's ideas in it to be healthy! I do know that 'without vision the people perish.' Rather than considering careers, ask yourself 'What really makes me tick? What do I do, or have I done, or dream to do that will make me feel alive? What do I want to live for?'
This is so often part of what God actually made us for. Look at Joseph. God made him to be an excellent administrator and leader. He certainly didn't follow a standard plan, but God still got him there, and all through the journey Joseph just kept doing what he was good at and what made him feel fulfilled, even in the direst circumstances.

Neither Heather nor I have had a career path, but we have a passion to help disciple young people, to teach them how to live and to try to be an example for them to follow. We know this is one of the major purposes that God has for our lives. We certainly haven't followed a standard career path, but here we are doing what we dreamed of.

Keep dreaming and chasing those dreams, but don't get stuck in the world's straightjacket of career paths and 'this is what I shall be doing in 5 years time.' Too many do this and they do well in the world's eyes, yet they fail to achieve what God has made them for. If we had done that, would we be in Canada? I really don't think so! IBOLT was never in our plans, so if we only lived by our plans we wouldn't be helping with IBOLT now! This isn't to say that no-one should do this, doctors, lawyers and the like HAVE to plan and spend years preparing, but it's not for everyone.

Stir up those dreams again that you've shared with us and trust God to keep opening the doors to bring those dreams to fruition.

Rather than striving to make your life fit a nice little pathway through the park of life with neatly trimmed edges, hunt down the dreams and desires that God has placed in your heart and when necessary, run across the grass to everybody's horror! It's liberating!

"Prepare your mind; you won't go beyond the way you think." - Paul Newberry

It's time to think and live differently from the world!

tmosh said...

Place. (plās)n.

1. An area with definite or indefinite boundaries; a portion of space.

interesting.....

Norma Jean said...

why do we have to have a career anyway...who said that that was the plan and the ultimate success..that just really bothers me. makes me feel like a real schmuck when i, too, dont have a clue what the heck i want to be "when i grow up". anyway ..thanx jenny for being in that place with me and thanx steve and heather for your words. ...i hope you dont mind ..but i took them to encourage me too. Love you guys.