Tuesday, November 08, 2005

A little late night blogging

I know, I know! For those of you who actually pay attention to the details of what time a blog is actually posted, I do realise that it's 2:13 am. I couldn't sleep. I promise I won't be on long, not that any of you are my mom, but even if it looks like I type a lot remember that I have an incredibe gift of typing and can do so quite fast.

I suppose one of the reasons that I'm up is I have many things on my mind. Usually I would journal them out and then try to sleep but I figured I just needed to get out of my bed for a while.

I've been reading a really good book lately called "The Visitation" by Frank Peretti. I've read 3 of his other books and I think that this one is my favourite so far. It's about a small town in Washington that is suddenly visited by a man claiming to be Jesus, who performs some amazing miracles and how the town reacts. I think one of the reasons I'm enjoying it so much is because it's told through the eyes of a burnt out Pentecostal preacher. I think that everyone who's grown up in a Pentecostal church should read it because it gives quite an insight into how hype-oriented we can become. Not that i'm anti - Pentecostal at all. I have some great memories from my time at good ol' TPA. I just think that it's a very interesting insight that's all. I think I can understand why a lot of the Christians I've met over here cringe when someone mentions the God channel. Maybe one day I'll write another blog about it.

This weekend was fairly quiet with some bursts of quick-fading excitement. The youth club on Friday was high paced, manic and a bit dream like! We arrived at the minors wellfare and right in the middle of the hall we use was a full sized boxing ring complete with signs saying "please keep off!" Well that's about the same as giving a 5 year old a chocolate bar and saying - "don't eat this, just hold it till it melts!" Right away there are 3 lads climbing onto the boxing ring and one of the ladies of staff yelling and screaming and asking them if they know how to read or not. Great fun. To top it all off there was scaffolding from renovations in the hall and they had moved all the pool tables and table tennis tables that we use into a heap in the corner. We did our best to try to sort everything and create some sort of order. Maybe next time we should try communism. The best part of the whole night though, and I'm not being sarcastic, this was awesome, was when Mike started breaking apart some of the junkier tables to make some space. At the same time Lisa was setting up another table to play a game on. One boy who was watching from the corner came over uncharateristicaly keen to help. He helped Lisa unfold a table leg and then just ripped it clean off!! Splintered the wood and bent the metal supports and all. Lisa nearly burst a gasket and had to keep a tight reign on her mouth as she turned bright red and yelled "WHAT ARE YOU DOING???" Well, I lost it! I literally keeled over laughing for a good 15 minutes. It was a combination of the chaos, tiredness and the look on Lisa's face. The lad stood there a bit confused and realised that Lisa was not helping Mike tear tables apart. Then the staff lady walked over viewed the scene and announced in a rather harsh, barking tone "well you've broken it now!" which made me laugh all the more. Oh it was good! It made my whole week. By the end I was ready to collapse on the couch at home and for some reason craving a good steak! I was quite happy to find out that Anna and Tim were going to be cooking steak for supper when I got in...honestly sometimes there's nothing like a nice piece of steak (enter Tim Taylor laugh from Home Improvement). I think steak is working it's way up to the top of my favourite food's list.

Saturday was a work meeting from 10 - 4. It was fairly productive but took a out a lot of mental energy.

Sunday was church and then I read my book in the afternoon. The evening was the town bonfire night and fireworks to celebrate the failed attempt to assainate the British Parliament 400 years ago by Guy Fox. He hid a load of barrels in the cellar under parliament and intended to blow it sky high because he was a Catholic and the King at the time was a Protestant. Fortunately someone was tipped off, Parliament was saved, and Guy Fox and his buddies were executed. I think I was told they were hung, drawn and quartered - mmmm pleasent- but I think that being burnt must have something to do with it as well because people burn replicas of Guy Fox in their bonfires. What a great holiday!

Anyway I think on that pleasent note I may head back to my bed and try to get some sleep!
At least my insomnia has been useful in supplying you Canadians out there with some history about England that you may not have known!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok let me get this straight...some guy back in the day tried to kill the King by blowing up the entire building...(wierd as that is..I'll accept it) but now people burn little figurines of him!?! I don't care what he did...that's creepy! And no one over in the good'ol Aisle of Angles see's a problem with this? Children burning figurines..oh yeah that's healthy!

I can just see it now, a mother bending down to her child, "Now don't do anything rash, like trying to assasinate the King/Queen via massive explosive barrels because people will be burning an image of you for the rest of history."

I say..if you don't notice a butt load of barrels in your basement..then you're not fit to be King!

Anonymous said...

Ps: I should never be King because I can't spell Isle

Jenny said...

I forgot to add, after being hung, drawn, quartered, and had his head choppped they buried his body parts in 4 corners of the country!

Steve said...

Hee hee hee, you wonder why your forefathers left England, now you know - We're all crazy and use any excuse for a good bonfire and a bit of effigy burning!

'Anonymous' is quite correct about parents warning their children. It happened to me, but don't knock it, it works, I have never since had any urge to blow up the Parliament building.

On a matter of detail, I am sorry to have to correct you Jenny, but his name was Guy Fawkes, not Fox, but if you've never seen it written down it's a simple enough mistake.

Thanks for the story about Peg-it, it made me grin widely, I can just hear Lisa's frustrated voice, poor thing!

Finally, a good medium rare rump steak can't be beat in my opinion.

Courtney said...

Buried in four parts of the country? That's kind of cool. I watched this Canadian history program called "History Bites", it's actually a humorous look at history and it was talking about Guy Fox and England and stuff.

I also read the Visitation about a month ago. I own it, so I go back to it from time to time. I laughed out loud so many times because of all the Pentecostal stereotypes. It's such a well-written book, and really creepy at times!!