Monday, August 22, 2005

Insomnia

It is 12:55am and I CAN'T sleep...a problem I seem to be having lately. Grrrrrr!
Did I drink too much caffeine today?? Well I don't drink coffee. I know, I'm a North American and I don't like coffee. Honestly I just can't stand the taste. I like coffee flavoured drinks and on occasion coffee flavoured ice cream, but when it comes down to straight coffee and nothing else I can't stand it. The smell is appealing but I'm sorry the taste is vial! So I can rule out coffee as a cause of my problem. I had a root beer but it was Mug's root beer and they don't even put any caffeine in it and I didn't even eat any chocolate today so it it definitely can't be caffeine.
There is a possibility of the bed factor. I moved downstairs onto the pull out sofa bed and it's a bit of an adjustment. In fact I have slept in...10, yep 10 different beds this summer! After a while I find that my brain just gets a bit numb to the idea of having to switch beds and it just becomes an automatic action to sleep wherever I am. However, this sofa bed may take a little more than a numb brain to adjust to it ...the springs are somewhat more present and protruding than in other beds.
Then there are the crickets! You'd think the sound of crickets would be soothing kind of like when it rains at night and you listen to it drumming on the roof...very peaceful. But not these crickets, these ones infiltrate the basement of our house and they wait. They wait until all the lights are turned out and then they make noise and while they're making their noise they're moving around. My brother Stephen killed a cricket that had climbed up on the inside of the plastic that's covering the insulation. It's actually there right now squashed, if I turned on the light I would be able to see it. Maybe it's the thought of sharing the basement with a murdered cricket that's keeping me up or the thought of revenge from the remaining crickets. I was a bit disturbed by his violent behaviour. I asked why he couldn't have just put the poor thing outside and he looked at me with glazed eyes and said "because I HATE THEM! THEY'RE EVERYWHERE!" He's spent the last week in the basement so I wonder if I too will come to hate the crickets as much as he does, to the point of violently killing them. Will my eyes glaze over everytime someone mentions the word crickets when a week is up? Usually I just trap them under a cup and put them back outside, will that change?
Will I become a senseless killer?
There is also my cat, Robin. I generally have a fondness for cats, in fact Robin came into our lives about 2 years ago when I rescued a box of abandoned kittens that was left outside a church. I guess you could say I have a soft spot for the furry guys. But I think that tonight Robin is feeling a bit neglected, it could probably be because we've been away at the lake for the weekend and just came back tonight. Maybe he was lonely and really missed us. Or maybe he's missed me for the entire year that I've been in England and is trying to make up for lost time spent with each other. I do not know, but I know that he is on the sofa bed right now sleeping, taking up most of my pillow space and refusing to move!
It could be my sunburn. I spent the day outside in my bathing suit without sunscreen. My shoulders and upper body are pretty much tanned already so I just got darker but my legs hadn't really seen too much of the sun this summer and I forgot. My thighs are pretty red and they're generating a pretty impressive amount of heat right now!
It could be that I drank a lot of water before bed and I keep having to get up to use the bathroom. That is a big hardship because it means that I have to go all the way upstairs (2 flights in this house!) and it means that I have to be quiet so I don't wake anyone upstairs. Going upstairs also means that I have to leave the springy sofa bed and if I have found a comfortable position it's probably never going to be found again.
It could also be the fact that I'm up on the computer typing this blog, that's probably the winning factor at the moment I think. It's working though, I have started to feel a lot more tired since I got on the computer. Maybe it's because it reminds me of work which would tire anybody out! Who knows, but I'm going to see if I've been remedied of my insomnia!

Farewell to anyone out there who also shares my fate tonight!
(I am also very sorry for the obscene amount of rambling)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jenny, After Calgary you could always EAT the crickets. This would save manically squishing them and becoming a crazed weirdo, and it would also stop you getting hungry in the night which I often find a cause of not being able to sleep. If you found someone crazy enough you could even get them to pay you for it!
Seriously though, I hope you get some good sleep soon.
Lotsa love,
Steve

Jenny said...

To eat a grasshopper is one thing, a cricket is totally different. For one, crickets have a hard shell and they'd be very crunchy. I was able to handle a squishy grashopper I don't think I could handle something with a shell!