Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Kraft-ed Single


The other day I was thinking about marriage, it's hard not to when the majority of people I know these days seem to be getting hitched! I was able to make it to 2/5 weddings this summer and there are at least another 3 this year coming up that I know of! To be a 22 year old Christian who is single seems to be extraordinarily weird.

Since I've been home I've received comments such as: "you're not married yet??? That's unbelievable!", "have you found a husband yet?", and my personal favorite so far would have to be "Jenny you're such a pretty girl...I don't understand why don't you have a boyfriend!"

It's not like I don't want to be married and have all the fun stuff that comes with it you know, someone to share life with, the "ooohs" and "awwwws" over a huge engagement ring, and all that other stuff. I would be lying if I said that I didn't think about it every once in a while, I mean, c'mon now, I am human and a girl and I don't know of any girl who NEVER thinks about her wedding day. I can SIGH and wish with the worst of them!

The thing is that people look at being single as a bad thing and I don't really think that it is! I mean we weren't born married and everyone has managed as far as they have (or did) without getting married. If I wasn't single I don't think that I would've been able to do as much stuff as I have done so far in life. I think that I've had an amazing adventure with God so far! I've traveled, I led a 6 month, young adult mission team at the age of 20 ( I'm still digesting that year) and I'm currently living in England working with youth and I love my job. It's been so much fun and I haven't been alone at all on the journey at all. Just because I'm single it doesn't mean I'm lonely. I have met amazing friends and people who I would call part of my family who have blessed me and supported me and who I've been able to have plain ol' immature fun with. In Genesis when God created everything he said it wasn't good for man to be alone, but he didn't say that it's not good to not be married.

I am looking forward to that day because I think it will be great, I'm pretty sure one day I'll arrive there, I really do hope so, but in the meantime I'm not going to look at myself as crippled or only half as good as someone who's married. I'm at a different stage in life but it doesn't mean that God is with me less now. I am always meant to be fulfilled by my Father in heaven whether I'm single or married. I was crafted single for a reason and while I am, I'm going to do my best to be content with life and enjoy every day and love God with all my heart, mind and strength.
And when I get married I'm going to do the same!





4 comments:

tmosh said...

nice word J
i had pretty much this same conversation with another beautiful woman of God who happens to be single at this moment, my thoughts for her were- if God is still preparing you & your heart, think about how amazing the gift is that He is going to give you in a husband & marriage...

Norma Jean said...

Preach it sista. Man Jenny you always know just how to hit the nail on the head. I gotta say ..thank you!...thank you!. Your words just really peirced my heart..and yes ive heard them before a bazillion times ..but I never let them sink in ...but now..Im am more determined than ever to live single life to the fullest....it truly is a gift. And to be content in all circumstances...so yeah ..Thanx for sharing and puttin gyourself out there for the world to know....and thanx for being my friend. I really do miss you alot. Love ya tons and tons.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jenny,
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I think what you wrote was awesome. Hang onto that post cos it could really encourage a lot of people over years to come.

You're a very special young woman and like tmosh said, God must be getting quite some guy ready for you, I'm looking forward to meeting him!

Being single has its blessings, privileges and difficulties, being married is the same, just a different set of blessings, priveleges and difficulties.

Enjoy being single and make the most of it, as you already are. When you get married, and I'm sure you will, enjoy it and make the most of it as I'm sure you will.

And whether single or married, God will always keep putting other 'family' around you who will support you, encourage you, enrich you, love you, bless you, have fun with you and simply be there for you, even as you do the very same for them and others, but please don't throw ice cream at all of them! ;-)

Keep pressing on in his plans and purposes for your life, not being pressured into others' plans and ideas for you.

God bless you.
Steve

A Not So Desperate Housewife said...

I love Kraft singles!