Friday, January 20, 2006

So You Thought You Had a Big Vocabulary Did You?

Alright all you dictionary.com fans, before you get too proud of the fact you have an extensive vocabulary, check out these words! I actually checked them in the dictionary and they are there!

FLOCCINAUCINIHILIPILIFICATION - (29 letters; an estimation of something as worthless)

HONORIFICABILITUDINITATIBUS - (27 letters "honorableness" It is the ablative plural of the Latin contrived honorificabilitudinitas, which is an extension of honorificabilis meaning "honorableness." )

is the longest word used by Shakespeare. It appears in Love's Labor's Lost, Act V, Scene I, and is spoken by Costard:

O, they have lived long on the alms-basket of words.I marvel thy master hath not eaten thee for a word;for thou art not so long by the head ashonorificabilitudinitatibus: thou art easierswallowed than a flap-dragon.

ANTITRANSUBSTANTIATIONALIST - ( 27 letters; one who doubts that consecrated bread and wine actually change into the body and blood of Christ)

LEVATOR LABII SUPERIORIS ALAEQUE NASI - (is a thin triangular muscle located on the side of the nose)

(want to find out some more? Check out the website at http://members.aol.com/gulfhigh2/words11.html )




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

.....*blink*..... wow. I'm just curious as to what made you look for these anomalous words.

Steve said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Steve said...

Just removed my previous comment cos it was gibberishish - is that a word?

What I meant to say was...

After 'floccinaucinihilipilification' my favourite has always been 'antidisestablishmentarianism'

I never knew what is was until just now when I looked at Dictionary.com, I'm still not sure I understand it, but it sounds good!

Thanks for the education. :-)