Thursday, January 19, 2006

This and That





I bought a pilates dvd from the internet and it arrived yesterday so I figured I'd give it a try. My mom's gotten into pilates and so I've been doing it whenever I've been home and really enjoy it. The dvd that I bought is designed for people who dont have a lot of time for exercise and it's divided into 5 seperate 10 minute workouts for your abs, arms and shoulders, butt and thighs, flexebility and there is a fat burn workout. You can do them seperately, in different combinations or as one total 50 minute workout. Well being the person that I am I decided to do the whole thing to see what it was like and I had time to kill. Holy moley did I sweat and now, today I'm lovely and sore. You'd think that with loads of running I could handle one workout, eesh!

Well, I thought that I would sum up some of the things I've been up to since my return to England.

First of all I would like to say that condensed milk is all fine and dandy in it's place, baked into desserts where you can't taste it, but, individually it's disgusting. We had a group of youth come into the office after school one day. One of the lads had a brainwave and came up with the idea that the most lush thing ever would be to dip chocolate into condensed milk and eat it. I can tell you the idea didn't exactly get my mouth watering but I'm not one to protest against eating weird combinations of food. They were all happily sitting on our floor dipping the chocolate into the tin of milk and eating it. Eventually it became a bit sickly and so they decided they'd had enough but there was still half a can of condensed milk sitting on our office floor. Being the Mosher that I am I playfully suggested that one of them should drink it. This was a huge hit only they decided that it should be me who drinks it! Ugh, shudder, cringe, blech! They finally agreed to let me off the hook if I shared the task with someone else...I didn't see how that was letting me off the hook but well, I'm not one to back down from a challenge. So then and there I drank down an quarter of a can of condensed milk. It was disgusting, I'd rather have eaten another grasshopper!

A couple weeks ago we had so many youths visit us one day at our lunch time drop in at the high school that there was no room to sit so I slid down the wall as if I was sitting on a chair and just stayed there for a bit. One of the lads noticed and asked how long I could stay "sitting" like that. I said I didn't know and they all decided to try and time me to see and I lasted 3 minutes before I collapsed on the floor. Since that afternoon Sophie decided that it would be a good exercise to do every evening to prepare herself for skiing in February and so we decided to try and add 10 seconds every night and see how long we could work ourselves up to and we decided that it would be a good idea to brush our teeth while doing it do distract ourselves from the exercise. It was so much fun and I managed to get an arm full of toothpaste foam as we ended up giggling quite a bit. (see photo above)

We had our youth service this past Sunday and it was awesome. Really, really awesome. I was saying to Lisa and Mike that I think it's one of the first times that I've really felt poured into myself while doing ministry here. It was so refreshing. The worship was great, the speaker was awesome and the repsonse from the youth was so encouraging. I'm so encouraged!

The other exciting thing for this year is that I'm heading to Capernwray Bible College for a two month bible course in April and May. The School is on the west coast of England in a town called Carnforth which is in Lancashire for those who care to look things up on an Atlas. I'm really anticipating a great time and so excited about meeting tones of young adults! I've been deprived of a thriving social life whilst in England. I think it's going to be a great time to just get away and get into God as well. Yay!

Well I should end here as I have to get on and do some work!
To end here is a quote I found on the internet yesterday:

Imagination is more important than knowledge.- Albert Einstein




1 comment:

Steve said...

Hey Jenny,
That really is so awesome about the youth service - keep going for it and keep letting the rest of us know how it's going! H and I really do miss being there.

Sad to not see any pictures of the ice breaker, but is the toothpaste challenge going to be the next one?... Or maybe drinking a can of condensed milk - Yeeuk! 8-(
Maybe drinking condensed milk, whilst eating a grasshopper and then as a bonus to the participants a toothpaste challenge to get rid of the taste?

Keep enjoying your work for Him, keep pressing on. We'll certainly keep praying for a continued sense of God's presence and guiding for you guys in the youth services and all the other ways you serve Him.

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!" - Psalm 37:4

God bless you,
Lotsa love,
Steve