Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Airport Madness

Hello, well I'm back in England! Things have been a bit of a whirlwind these past few days as I've been rather jet-lagged and was back in the office on Monday. It looks like this year is going to be a pretty full on already as we booked in 8 high school assemblies yesterday....8!! They're all this month as well, yeesh! Hopefully I can muster up some creativity despite the fog in my brain.

My flight over went really well. It wasn't that long, only about 6 1/2 hours total with a stop in Halifax. It seemed to go by really fast. I had a bit of an adventure before I boarded the plane though. It goes something like this:

After a rather emotional and tearful good bye with my parents I made it through security and headed towards my gate. It took me a bit to get there because I kept turning around to wave good bye to my parents who were watching from the floor above through the glass. Eventually I got to gate 14 and sat down. I looked around and took in the people who were going to be on my flight with me. A pretty average crowd I figured it'd be a pretty regular flight. I then had a lady approach me and ask me "is your last name Smith?" ( She didn't really say Smith but I can't remember the actual name she used.) I let her know that it wasn't my last name and she went on to say "oh, I'm supposed to find a young girl traveling alone who's last name is Smith, you're sure you're not her?" I assured her that it was not me and she smiled and left. I thought it was a bit funny since the last time that I flew to the UK I had a guy ask me if I was Michelle from Timmins, Ontario and if I had gone to the same high school as him.

Anyway, I looked at my watch and realized that I still had about an hour left before the plane was supposed to leave and I was way to ansy to sit still and wait. So, I decided that I would go and get a bottle of water and maybe try to find a book because I had not brought either with me for the flight. I picked up my bags and headed back down to the Relay store to poke around. I found the water easy enough but it took a few minutes for me to browse through the books. I was debating whether or not to get a John Grisham book when I saw "The No.1 Ladies Detective Agency" and I remembered my mom telling me that it was a very good book. I picked it up and headed to the counter to pay but there was a bit of a dilemma. The store's interact machine was on the blink (not working, but those who read my Canadian/English Dictionary would know that) and the girl working the till didn't know what to do. She ended up getting on the phone and as all this was happening I was realizing that the minutes were quickly slipping by and that my plane would soon be boarding. I decided just to drop it and I had to leave without my water or my book. I was pretty disappointed.

As I was walking back to gate 14 something of interest caught my eye, a currency exchange, and in a flash a thought process coursed through my brain. It went something kinda like this:

"hmmmm don't have any Canadian cash but I do have some British Pounds with me, if I was to exchange a few pounds I would have enough Canadian cash to go back and buy my water and my book. But would it take a long time to exchange? No, I don't think so it's pretty fast...the question is how much time do I have before I have to get on the plane? Well maybe I'll just look around the corner and see what the status is..."

So I looked around the corner and the seats surrounding the gate area were completely empty and everyone had joined a line to board and there were only about 35 people left to get onto the plane. My brain started whirring again:

"YIKES! I didn't realize that they'd started boarding, what do I do? Common sense would tell me to just forget it and join the line, but I really want some water and a book and there is still a chance. If I run I could have time...do i do it or not? If I keep standing here trying to decide I'm wasting precious time to actually go and get the book so what do I do? Right I'm just gonna go for it!"

I dashed back to the currency exchange and asked the man to change my British Pounds for me - I think he thought I was a bit odd converting back to Canadian since it was obvious I was leaving but he did it anyway. As soon as I had my cash I ran back down to the Relay store and made it to the counter just in front of someone else who was about to pay for something. I asked the woman if she had put my book and water away yet and said breathlessly that I had cash. My adrenaline was really pumping and my hands were shaking trying to get the change for her. All of a sudden I heard them announce the final boarding call for my flight and another surge of adrenaline was released as I said "don't worry about the change, I have to go!!" ( She was counting it out sooooo slowly. She insisted that I take my 30 cents so I grabbed it causing a few coins to fly loose, and charged back down towards gate 14 making it just in time with only 5 people ahead of me in the line! My heart was absolutely pounding and by the time I got to my seat I was very hot and sweaty but very triumphant!

I sat down on my seat with a sense of the risk I'd taken as well as deep satisfaction that I'd accomplished what I'd set out to do. I also noticed there was a large lump that I was sitting on. I stood up to find that the lovely people on Zoom Airlines had provided me with a bottle of water for my journey.

That was very sweet of them but my race was still justified because they had not provided me with a book.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jenny,
I'm glad to hear you got back to Morpeth safely. The big question though is...
Was the book any good? Was it worth the hassle?
Catch up with you soon,
Steve :-)

tmosh said...

the whole time i'm reading this i am thinking..."but they always have drinks on the planes...." as if i could somehow change your mind and get you to forget about the water.....