Thursday, September 22, 2005

Posture:

1. A characteristic way of bearing one's body; carriage: stood with good posture.
2. A frame of mind affecting one's thoughts or behavior; an overall attitude.


I think that my good posture is starting droop.
I used to get compliments all the time on how I had such good posture. I remember one time when I was in a Walmart McDonalds with my brother and while we were eating one of the workers came over and explaimed that I must be a piano player because my back was so straight when I sat. It was always something I was kind of proud of. Anyway, I think that I've started to slack off and slouch all the time and I don't like it. For one thing my back starts to get sore because of it and it makes me think that I don't have as much stamina as I used to. Also, I don't want to be someone who has what I like to call the "terredactal" neck when I get older.

I think sometimes spiritually I can very much start to slouch as well because life can just become a bit too heavy on my shoulders. It's like when I was in high school and I had a picture at Hard Core Prayer one night. Hard Core Prayer was on Thursday evenings at my church and it was just an hour in the evening for youth to come and pray at the church. I was sitting on the floor at the front of the church not really praying but just sitting with God and I saw a road which I was walking down and I had a back pack on my shoulders. Sometimes while I was walking I'd see a little pebble in my way and I'd pick it up and put it in my bag. It was so little that I hardly noticed it and as I found these pebbles I just kept collecting them and putting them in my back pack. But, eventually, the bag began to grow heavy with all these little pebbles and it started to weigh me down and my back started to slump but I just kept picking them up. Finally I just couldn't walk anymore and I started to cry because it was so heavy. Then Jesus came and He took the bag from me, emptied it and I was able to walk on again.

The little pebbles were situations/problems in life that I didn't think were too big and figured I could just handle on my own. And as these situations kept coming and I just kept handling them on my own the more they all just weighed down on my shoulders until I was carrying this huge burdon that I had to have Jesus lift off my back. The thing is that God doesn't want us to wait until we have a huge burdon, He wants to handle every little situation in our lives. I don't have to pick up the little pebbles. It's hard though isn't it? I mean I'm someone who likes to be able to be in control and do things, but really I guess there's no freedom in that, that's the attitude that causes me to get weary and burdoned.

I guess ultimately it's about surrender. The more that I bow down and give my life to God the more I'm free to stand up and walk with good posture.

No comments: