Friday, September 30, 2005

The Conquering of the Worrel Bank
and other tales by Jenny Mosher

For over a year now it has existed in my life, sometimes recognized, other times forgotten. Silently it has beckoned me, called me, taunted me, dared me. I have heard tales of how it has broken others, how it has struck dread into their hearts as they were forced to face it on foot, two wheels, and even four. I have only ever watched from a window I've never had to be the one to actually engage in combat. Once it nearly defeated a friend as she was already in 5th gear when she started to climb. I am talking about the Worrel Bank.

Those of you who live in Morpeth know what I'm talking about, for those of you who don't, the Worrel Bank is a particularly large and ferocious breed of hill. It lies between Morpeth and Pegswood and anyone who has had to make the journey in between is forced to face this monstrosity. From a car this trip is decievingly simple, especially when traveling downhill, but when faced with climbing up it either on a bike or on foot it is especially daunting.

My tale really begins when I was in grade 4 attending school at Burntwood Elementary School in Thompson, Manitoba. I would have been 9 years old then. One day an announcement was made over the P.A. system saying that the tryouts for the Knights of Columbus would begin after school and on this particular day the tryouts were for the 300m run. I had just moved to Thompson the summer before grade 4 started for me so I was a rookie in this town and I had no idea what the Knights of Columbus were, but, since everyone in my class seemed to be going I went along as well. We met in the basement of our school where we had an underground track made of ashphalt. I remember it seeming so big when I was 9, but since revisiting at the age of 17 I realised that it was indeed very small. Tryouts began and I was told to run a certain number of laps around the track and that I would be timed. No sweat! I was always pretty active and always came out on top when we had fitness testing in gym class, I could do this. And I did. I really had no idea exactly what I did, only that I did well and came in first. I was then told that I would be running for the school at a city wide track meet called the Knights of Columbus and that I would be running in the 300m run. The track meet came and I ran and placed 4th which meant that I didn't win a medal but that was the beginning of my passion for running.

From then on I compteted in every Knights of Columbus track meet, most years as a student of Deerwood Elementary School since we moved shortly after grade 4. I managed to become one of the top runners in the 300m run and placed 2nd every year with Ladonna Waldner from Westwood Elementary always placing 1st, a very worthy opponent. (Ladonna, wherever you are, I miss you and wish you the best in everything life has for you!)

In grade 7 I managed to get my best time ever in just under one minute and I was asked to attend the Boeing Games in Winnipeg. I won two bronze medals at this meet and proudly brought them home.
I continued on in the wonderful sport of running throughout highschool until grade 10. Grade 10 was a very hard year for me as I was searching for my identity. I was having a tough time with my church youth group and I found more acceptance from my friends at school and so for a time I decided to put my faith on hold. Luckily God never writes us off even though we write Him off sometimes and He brought me safely through that time and I'm still going strong in my relationship with Him. But, because of the rough time I went through as well as a desire to not repeat it and track and field had taken me on many weekends away from my youth group I decided to sacrifice it in grade 11. Instead I became the missions co-ordinator for my youth group and in grade 12 the secretary for our youth group executive.

Even though I had officially given up track and field at school, the passion for running still coursed thick through my veins. In grade 12 I decided to try to start going for runs before school. I had only short distance when I was in track and thought I would see how I could hold up with long distance running. We lived on the treeline and so there were many trails behind our house which were perfect for cross country running. It started with only going for 10 minute runs. I remember after the first few times thinking that I would absolutely die! I'd reach home and be sweating up a storm, panting, and have cramps in my stomache...I loved it!

Some people ask why on earth I would enjoy running. Well not only is it a great way to get exercise but I love the feeling of running. I love the sense of accomplisment after having gone for a run. I love the time to just be me, on my own and think about life and sometimes just sweat out the stress of life. I love the time to take in my surroundings and marvel at God's creation. I love that it's something that I have to work for. I love the feeling of energy that I get from running and the sense of freedom, like nothing can touch me and in the busy, busy lives that we create for ouselves I love the time to just get away from everything and be me. To think what I want, go where I want, to just stop and be if I want. Ok, I'll accept the fact that I may sound like a flake, but it's something that I love. Perhaps it's in my makeup, when God put me together in my mother's womb he said "and she's gonna love running." Above all there is also the comparasion between living for God and running that is made in the bible:

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us"

I find that many times when I'm running I think of these words and I think about my life and I'm encouraged to keep going. No matter what kind of situations I'm facing, keep running. No matter how lousy I feel, keep running. On days that I feel great, keep running the race for Jesus and never give up.

I'm afraid that after high school I never fully managed to continue running. Throuhgout the years I have had spurts and phases where I've tried to get back into it. I've amazed myself many times at the distance I can work my way up to. My last year spent in Morpeth there were a few months where it again made an appearance in my life but it was soon squashed out by the amount of work I was doing and the lack of sleep I was getting. However, this summer, while I was back home in Ottawa I managed to pick it up again which brings me back into my story about the Worrel Bank...

...I arrived back into Morpeth, a good solid month of running and having worked up to about 5km behind me, determined to continue on. Anna Hatch, who I currently live with, suggested to me some good routes. One about 4.5 miles the other 5 miles. The route that was 5 miles also included running up the Worrel Bank. I did not think I was ready at all. I had only been running flat distances and had no experience with hills. Still, my appetite was whetted. I set out steadily building up my endurance on the 4.5 mile run steadily approaching the day when I would set out to conquer my foe. It was hard work. Although shorter, the route which I was running was far from flat. England is known for it's rolling hills and although there weren't too many, there was a rather nasty piece of slope-age that I had to run up. I worked on this route for 3 weeks. After two, I was able to run it straight without stopping but I ran the extra week to make sure I was good and ready.
I woke up this morning and decided today was the day! I would conquer the Worrel Bank. I set out, slightly nervous. Would I be able to do it? Would I have to stop half way up to walk the rest of the way? Would I succomb to the hungary jaws of this incline or would I be able to master it? Slowly but surely I set my pace. Reliant K was the music of choice in my discman and as the beat started my feet began to scrape the pavement, I began to run. Before long it loomed up before me, my eyes trailed the road as it increased in height and sloped around the corner, my throat was feeling dry and scratchy and I had to remind myself to breath. One foot after the other I plodded ahead, it was now or never. My feet reached the base and I didn't slow down. Slowly I began moving upwards. Traffic was shooting by and the vehicles made the ground vibrate and the air roar as if the bank itself was enraged by my presence. I kept moving forward. My legs started to tighten as the muscles in my thighs began to tire. I kept moving forward. I was half way up and things were going well. I wasn't out of breath and although my muscles were tight, they were not siezing up. A biker passed me going the opposite direction, I thought about what he'd have to face on the way back. Then suddenly I saw it! The top! I was almost there. A surge of adrenaline was realeased and in a rush I quickened my pace. I was going to do it! I did do it! I made it to the top and in the joy of my victory I continued running. I ran the whole 5 miles and got back home within 45 minutes! I was estatic. I set out to achieve a goal and I did it. It was very rewarding.

I do not know if I will be choosing that route every time I go for a run now but it does hold a special place with me. The Worrel Bank no longer seems as intimidating. In fact would compare it to meeting someone for the first time, someone who intimidates you. Someone who you see and think "gosh! Look at them! I could never just go up and say hi to them!" but as you get to know them you realise that they're a very easy going and friendly person. Although they appear to be one way on the outside, inside they are very different. That is what the Worrel Bank is like. It's very intimidating but once you get past that initial awkwardness you realise you've made a friend for life.

I hope to one day run a marathon, in fact I've said that I'd like to do it before I'm 30. There is also the Great North Run here in England. Maybe if I end up sticking around one day I'll attempt that. It's very true that you can do anything that you set your mind to. A quote that is even more dear to my heart is this:

"I can do everything through him who gives me strength" Phillippians 4:13

4 comments:

.leanne said...

Ahh how I remember those days. Knights of Columbus were always a good half day off school (for those of us non runners of course). Glad to hear you conquered your “mountain”.

Courtney said...

5 miles!!? That's 10 fricking kilometres!! I only did four km runs in high school and sometimes I thought I would die! Good for you!!!

Anonymous said...

Your thoughts about running and what you feel when you run reminded me of a quote from one of my favourite films " Chariots of Fire ".
Eric Liddell said " I believe God made me for a purpose, but he also made me fast. And when I run I feel His pleasure.
This was why he ran and also to honour God, but he also promised God that he would go to China and be a missionary after he tried to make the Britsh team in the 1924 Olympics. He achived this and because the 100m heat was on a Sunday, he switched to the 400m and won gold. He then went to China and served the Lord until he died.
The Lord gives us many gifts and talents, the hard things sometimes is to recognise they are from Him and that He has fitted them into his purpose for our lives.

Keep on running.

Steve said...

Glad to hear the running's going better than ever - especially up the Worral Bank. Well done!
Cycling up it's bad enough and I've never really thought of it as a friend, I think trying to run it would kill me :-(
Go for that marathon!