Saturday, September 03, 2005

A Night On the Town

I went into Ottawa with my friend Amber tonight. We left with the intention of going to see a movie but decided not to. First of all when we pulled into the parking lot we noticed that Jacob Connexion was still open. How could we resist? After about half an hour of poking around and trying things on we left empty handed, semi-sad that we had nothing new to take away with us, semi-empowered that we had enough will power to say "we don't need anything!" We then sauntered over to the theatre to see the movies and showtimes but by this time it was 8:45 and most of the earlier showings had passed. Our choices were down to The Cave or The Constant Gardener. I did not want to see The Cave, I am a wuss and I will admit it, even though Amber tried hard I didn't cave in ( ha ha). It looked like it was down to the Constant Gardener but I just didn't feel that I knew enough about it to go and watch it yet so we decided to go in and ask the theatre staff about it. You'd think that they would know about the movies for people who have inquiries but the girl,who was chewing her gum quite loudly and blowing bubbles, (some that I know would say "dirty habbit!") pointed us to a sign instead. It wasn't at all helpful and didn't give us anymore insight into the movie so we decided that we'd blow it all and just go to Starbucks instead.

We walked down the row of shops to Starbucks discussing the current state of South Keys. Apparantly it isn't the safest place at night but we decided to just go ahead and walk anyway, the stores were all still open. We got to Starbucks and ended up passing some pretty weird characters. There was one who was just outside Starbucks sitting at an outdoor table, with his knees up on his chair, long scraggly hair, rocking forwards and backwards muttering to himself with a malcious grin on his face, staring at us as we walked by...I was a bit creeped out but we ended up sitting outside anyway. My friend Amber has no fear. After a brief dilema with our drinks we both had a flavoured soy milk and sat outside and talked, the whole time with the weirdo at the other end of the patio. I was glad to leave when we did and even brave Amber was thinking this guy was a bit nuts.

We got back home and went on the swings in the park. We weren't there for too long when a band of youth with beers and cigarettes came along the path. They saw us and struck up a conversation. The guys thought my name was hilarious and started singing "I'm just Jenny, just Jenny from the swings". They asked us what we were doing and we said "being six again" they thought this was hilarious and that we were super cool. One guy told us his name was Josh and they carried onto the jungle gym and every so often I'd hear "hey Jenny from the swing, how's it going?" It was pretty interesting, they were harmless enough but we decided that they were getting too loud and we couldn't hear each other talking anymore so decided to go home.

Anyway, that was my evening! One of the more exciting nights since I've been home. I'm glad that we didn't go see a movie, it's nicer to catch up with old friends via conversation and not through the big screen. You also have more chances of having adventures on your own instead of watching other peoples and can create your own memories.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.