Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Jenny's English/Canadian Dictionary

The countdown is on! Only 3 more days until I leave Canada to head back to the lovely UK. I have most of my stuff sorted, I just need to repack my suitcases and make sure I can get everything back in, hopefully my boxes of kraft dinner will fit!

Anyway, in honour of my departure back to "jolly ol' England" I thought I'd post a list of English words that were different to the Canadian language. I kept this list while I was in England last year. I ended up stopping not too long after I started because there were just tooo many words! Some people who I've talked to since I've been back were asking to see it so here it is, posted for the public to view. Maybe one day I can start my own dictionary website...that would be very cool! Ace even!

I'm not sure if I will have another post on my blog before I leave or when the next time I'll be able to post will be so until next time....watch this space!

If there are any words that are confusing just let me know and I will try my best to clarify.

I apologize to any English people if I have any errors in the meanings of the words. My sources of consultation whilst compiling the list were: Mike Willis, Lisa Holt, Steve Belleguelle and Heather Belleguelle. You may take any grievances up with them. They are all citizens of the United Kingdom.

*the grouping of phrases at the end of the list is cockney rhyming slang. Some of you may have seen the movie Oceans 11 where the English dude says "otherwise we'll be in Barney" that's cockney rhyming slang for trouble. These phrases are used in the English language in England, believe it or not. During one of the kids clubs I was helping at last year one of the little boys pointed to Mike and said "he's telling porkies!" which means lies because porky pie = lie. That's basically how it works. Hopefully it's not too confusing


Jenny's list of English words:


ace = cool
bedlam = madness, chaos, hectic
berk = idiot etc.
billy no mates = loner
bin = Garbage Can
bitty = lots of little things "i had a bitty week, lots of errands"
blimey! = gosh, wow, etc
bloke = guy
blue peter = scoutish charity "that's very blue peter"(hand made, crafty-ish)
blue peter badge = what you get for doing something home made-ish or helping charity etc.
bonnet = hood of the car
boon = a bonus, blessing etc.
boot = trunk of the car
brew = tea or coffee
brilliant = awesome
bumped off = killed, done away with
bunking off = skiving, not doing any work,
bush telegraph = jungle drums, grapevine "we'll put it through the bush telegraph"
camp = femmy
canny = good, (a canny day), sweet, cute, polite, "he's canny"
cheap = morally loose
cheeky = someone who gives a bit of lip in a friendly way, sarcastic, a joker
chippy = fish & chips restaurant
chips = fries
chucked = dumped
chuffed = extremely pleased, satisfied
clarty = mucky (or sh*t)
clever ducky = smart alec
codger = an older person
comes a cropper = hurt yourself, situation didn't go to plan, an object broke it "came a cropper"
copping off = making out
cotton Buds = Q tips
crackers = crazy, nuts
cracking = good "cracking good day for a....."
crisps =chips
crumbs = golly! Gosh
cuppa = tea
do your nut = go crazy
does my nut in = drives me crazy
dodgy = suspicious, shady, iffy
doing (done, do) yourself a mischeif = hurting yourself
faffing = fooling around, nit picking
fag = cigarette
fit = hot
gaffer = the boss, refers to football manager
grasser = a tattle tale, someone who spills on everyone else
git - an annoying mean person, grumpy old so & so
gooseberry = 3rd wheel, spare part
gutted = choked/extreme disappointment
heaving = crowded
jelly = jello
jungle drums = the grapevine "jungle drums've been working" (I've heard something about you)
knackered = totally wiped out and exausted
knocked up = put together (I knocked up a sandwich for you)
loo = toilet
lorry = Semi
manic = chaotic
mank = disgusting
mates = friends
minger = someone who's really gross
minging = gross/disgusting
mint = cool
more-ish = something you want more of...that's addicting (chocolate is very more-ish)
motor way = highway
mulled wine = wine that has mulled spices (cinnimon, nutmeg, spiced fruits) boiled in a pan and had at christmas
naff = no good
naught = zero (0.3 = naught point three)
norman no friends = a loner
numpty = dummy, idiot, plonker
on the blink = not working "the phone is on the blink"
peckish = hungry
persnickety = pays close attention to little details...is consumed by them
plonker = idiot
poof = gay
prat = idiot "he was a right prat!"
pratish = idiotic "that was a pratish thing to do"
proper = real/authentic/the right way
pudding = dessert
row = fight, argument, a good yell.
sarnie = sandwich
scrounger = someone who always mooches and doesn't pay back. "on the scrounge"
shattered = tired, wiped out
shocking = something really bad, acting on a show was terrible is shocking.
skank = disgusting, someone on "too posh to wash"
skatty = scatterbrained, running around with your head cut off...etc.
skiver = slacker, not doing any work, skiving
skuzzy = disgusting, someone who's skuzzy.
slag = slut
snap! = same here!
snogging = making out
sorted = worked out "have you gotten everything sorted/worked out?"
sussed = sorted, worked out
swot = book nerd, teachers pet
taking the Mick = making fun, teasing
talent = "they've got talent" hot, fit
tart = someone who dresses like slag doesn't mean you are one though, good insult for a guy who's obsessed with his hair etc.
tartin yourself up = getting all dolled out
tea = supper
tip = dump "my rooms a bit of a tip"
tip ex = white out
tosh = rubbish, bull sh*t, load of crap.
trapping = making out
twee = sickly girly (shirly temple)
watch this space! = get ready somethings coming
what is he like? = who does that...etc.

winge = moan, gripe, wine
yonks = ages, forever, a long time

*Cockney Rhyming Slang

2 in 8 = you’re a state
Apple pie = eye
Apples & pears = stairs
Barney rubble = trouble
Creamed crackers = knackered
Dog & bones = phone
Porky pie = lie
Tit for tat = hat

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Cor lummy duck, you gotta right loada words there. Must admit, in Canada I've sometimes felt a right Charlie for using some of these phrases and nobody could understand 'owt I was saying!

I am shocked you missed out my favourite food - A good old Ruby Murray - which is of course a curry!
Also, it's Mince Pie, not Apple Pie for eye.

Enjoy your trip back to Ol' Blighty pet.

Seeya,
Steve :-)

Jenny said...

Sorry Kristy-Anne I'm not going back through Edmonton, I'm flying out from Ottawa :( But the next time I'm ever in Edmonton I will definitely try to meet up with you!

tmosh said...

so sad that your cheeky self won't be in Canada any longer.... : (
hopefully i will get to come see you!
love ya J!